a bit about me......
Hi I’m Rebecca! I am a birth and documentary photographer based in Los Angeles. I started my career in the arts as an outspoken teen, taking college courses in oils and color theory, all the while insisting I wanted absolutely nothing to do with a career in art. However, I found myself stumbling backwards into photography (which I also wanted nothing to do with) as a way of expressing the visual poetry I saw in the sea of humanity around me.
After giving birth to my own children, I felt myself drawn to working with women in their child bearing years –I just didn’t know in what capacity. A few years later, after the sudden death of mother, I stumbled upon images of another woman’s birth, and suddenly I knew, in my bones, that this was something I needed to do –to me, this was the perfect melding of the art and science of birth itself. I am deeply influenced by other women artists such as Artemisia Gentileschi, Alice Neel, and Sally Mann; as well photojournalists such as Meridith Kohut and Ami Vitale.
Accolades & Awards
- First Place Labor Category in the IAPBP Contest
- commercial work with Hyland's Inc.
- Cover Image for Midwifery Today magazine
- First Place Members' Choice Labor Category
- Presenter at Click Away 2018 on Amelia Island
- Published in the VOICE COLLECTION at Click Away
- First Place Labor Category in the Birth Becomes Her Birth Birth Photography Contest
- Finalist and Honorable Mention Documentary Family Awards in the Birth Category
- Judge's Choice in Documentary Family Awards
- Published in Cosmopolitan, Huffington Post, Say Yes, Buzzfeed, Bored Panda, Art Net, Art Fido, Mommyish
- SAY YES "Would You Hire A Birth Photographer?"
- Top Honors in the IAPBP contest Honorable Mention
- Cover Image for The Long Way Home Vol VIII
- Commercial Video Work for WORDS WITH FRIENDS app
- Presenter and teacher at The Family Narrative in NOLA
- VOICE COLLECTION self-portrait 2017
- Featured in Looks Like Film and Tribe Archipelago
- Teacher/Mentor at Illuminate Classes
- Published in Vogue, Journey to Artist, HuffPost, Buzzfeed, Cosmopolitan, Bored Panda, SELF, RedBook, Mothering, Healthy Mummy
- Collaboration with GroundSwell
- Teacher and Mentor Illuminate Classes
- Joined the Family Narrative as a Teacher for NOLA 2017
- Featured in LLF
text and images exclusive copyright of rebecca coursey-rugh
all rights reserved